Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/10/2015 10:18 am  #1

irs in third gen camaro help

I have a 86 camaro irocz that I want to put a irs in and will be going with a jag or chevy unit but I want to be able to build bullet proof needs to hold up to 800 whp

What I need ?
Which rear end would be better ?
What year to consider?
Sorry for my manners hi to every one im a new member will be loading pics of car soon so it can be a start to finish project documented money is no issue but wanna put the tlc in myself

1/12/2015 8:48 am  #2

Re: irs in third gen camaro help

The Jag and most Chevy rears are using a Dana 44 rear gear and pinion setup.  Some of the mid 80's vette rears are not using a Dana 44.  While I dont' know the years specifically, I'd be sure to avoid those rears.

What is the intended purpose, autocross, 1/4 mile drags?  In general, I'd avoid an IRS if you're doing high RPM neutral drops with any kind of traction.  If you're looking to do corner carving, then an IRS should be good.  I don't remember which years of Vette rears use a modified four link attached to the hub, but if you have room to work, that is what I would look at first.  However, Vette rears are more expensive than Jag rears.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

1/12/2015 2:57 pm  #3

Thanks alot will be a corner carver but I do wanna be able to do some a occasional burn outs so I will be adding stronger internals etc.  still checking local salvage yards and If im correct I think the 80s vette the five speed manual should Cary the dana 44 and should be more of a easier mock up then jag but will let you guys know what I grab im so excited to start

Measure twice cut once!

1/19/2015 7:36 am  #4

If you're not using the halfshaft as a suspension memeber, the late (2000- 2007 or so) Explorer 8.8 is a good unit. LSD's are cheap and plentiful, and the aluminum case saves a few pounds.

4/02/2015 3:56 pm  #5

test

Board footera