Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/15/2014 9:15 am  #1

Jag rear end help

Working on this for a customer. He has no idea what it is other than a Jag rear end. The hour or so of searching has led me in cirlces. He has had the bearings fail, luckilly the numbers on the bearing I was able to see and get from Napa. I'm playeing hell finding a grease seal for it though. The original seal has numbers 5840047J and "made in the UK" on the seal. I believe I'm looking for a Wheel Seal(thats what I would call it) you may call it something else.

Any help would be appreciated as to the actual name of the seal or even a part number. It has tapered bearings so from what I can see it should be any where from a 75-87 rear end. Out of what model I don't know.

12/15/2014 9:17 am  #2

Re: Jag rear end help

The seal I'm needing will fit the shaft in the second pic. That then slides into the carrier where the rotor and caliper attaches.

12/16/2014 8:41 am  #3

Most of the parts are universal for bearings and seals.
You can always state you have a Series II or III Jag rear from an xj12.  The year won't matter, I would state '78.  Another site to check out would be the JagLovers forum.  I think it is based in the UK and they have lots of info.  Also, do a search on my posts, at one point I found an online manual which probably has the numbers you need.
I'll take a look tonight and see if I still have the box the seals came in.  It was probably part of a kit, but I'm sure the number would be the same.
This is probably called a stub axle seal.
Good luck!

12/17/2014 6:21 am  #4

Daze had all of the bearing and seal numbers listed in the first part of this site. I was able to rebuild my rear end from his info so I know the numbers are good. I know this info is here somewhere, I just dont know exactly where.  Ask Daze. He did one hell of a fine job finding and listing all of this information very early on so I am sure it has to behere somewhere..

12/17/2014 8:33 am  #5

Another resource I forgot about is Randy's Ring and Pinion.  They sell complete rebuild kits and I'm sure if you called them, you could get the part number for the stub axle seal.

12/27/2014 8:30 pm  #6

Just did one myself. JLM 001264 is the Jaguar number. Timkin dealer here couldn't find it in the book.

Board footera