Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

4/09/2014 12:12 pm  #1

BMW IRS and MGB

Has anyone narrowed a BMW IRS? I am looking at a E46 M3 that's 59" and need it to be closer to 49"

Looks harder to modify than a Jag IRS because of the separate springs but I didn't know if I could get just any ol' coilovers and forego the BMW springs altogether.

Also concerned about the forward mounting point of the trailing arm. Thought about making the "C" shape into a straight piece.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

4/12/2014 9:43 pm  #2

Re: BMW IRS and MGB

got any pix of the rear end you are thinking of narrowing.  I am not familiar with it but may have some ideas if I could see what you are thinking of working with.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

4/30/2014 1:20 am  #3

Re: BMW IRS and MGB

Hi gravesgrg,

I guess the main problem would be the narrow mounting points of the IRS causing alot of stress in that area which might cause cracks. BMW's are known for that kind of cracks in the rear suspenssion area. I choosed the Jaguar because of the wide spreaded mounting possibility which gives some stiffness.  One more reason to choose the Jaguar IRS was the availability of ring&pinion gears in any imaginable size which shoould be a lack with BMW.

Just my 2 cents,

Mustsed

Nothing is impossible, some just cost more!

Board footera