Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

5/19/2013 4:20 pm  #1

A Citroen 2CV like suspension, but also interconnected side to side?

The 2CV suspension was interconnected front to aft.
Thus for example while hard braking the front suspension dives, but by doing so it also makes the rear suspension move down.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-european/curbside-classic-1969-citroen-2cv-the-most-original-car-ever/

What it they also interconnected the suspension from side to side?
This way when cornering left for example, weight transfer makes the right side suspension compress.
Beng interconnected this would also lower the left side suspension.

Reportedly this works better than sway bars, specially for soft, street suspensions.
This system would be 100% mechanical with no hydraulics or airbags to leak.

Maybe this suspension lowering both sides would behave like a lowered tuned sport car in hard bends yet preserving ride height for speed bumps.

Thoughts? Comment?
Do you know if this has been tried before?
I've heard that this is used in F1 suspensions by bellcranks but haven't found anything conclusive so far.

5/20/2013 2:13 am  #2

Re: A Citroen 2CV like suspension, but also interconnected side to side?

Your timining is very astute!
Just last month, both Lotus and Mercedes introduced a FRIC system - hydraulic .  It is totally passive, soe gets around the Active suspension rules. 
Here is a link for those interested in this approach.  
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/04/that-perfect-ride-the-must-have-technical-device-of-2013/

Sorry, I'm too far dorn the track to make another mod!

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

5/20/2013 3:40 am  #3

Re: A Citroen 2CV like suspension, but also interconnected side to side?

That thought crossed my mind a few times. However my thinking was electronicly controlled at the arms. Lighter and programmable. Plus you could send the signal to any corner of the suspension easily. Fly by wire! Incorporate a directional G-force sensor so you could signal fore-aft, left-right.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (5/20/2013 3:50 am)

Board footera