Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/18/2012 5:25 pm  #1

65 Mustang Convertible Jag IRS Installation Progress

on September 13, 2010, 11:13 pm, irstang wrote:

Center section in relation to tunnel. Lower cage bar is attached to the upper front tube. Please ignore the old brake and fuel lines. The dent in the floor pan was a surprise.

This is the first of two tubes that go forward. Their intent is to absorb twisting loads to the center section from acceleration and braking.

Here is the forward cross tube with tube tacked in place.

And both tubes are now tacked in place.

Radius rods brackets will attach to the gussets you see here.

Back to the sketch pad.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

7/18/2012 5:26 pm  #2

Re: 65 Mustang Convertible Jag IRS Installation Progress

on September 14, 2010, 6:33 pm, Daze wrote:

Looks very solid, do you have any vibration isolation???
I see that all the support structure is welded directly to the car and was wondering if you were worried about road vibration or drive train vibration when driving???

7/18/2012 5:27 pm  #3

Re: 65 Mustang Convertible Jag IRS Installation Progress

on September 14, 2010, 8:22 pm, irstang wrote:

This remains to be heard in a uni-body car, but I have met with several people that have solid mounted the Jag differential and gear noise is drowned out by the sound of a healthy V8. I made the decision early on to solid mount the differential and not go the polyurethane bushing route. These are very solid and do little to isolate vibration. I am using the stock rubber bushings at the radius arm attachment to lower control arms to minimize road noise.

Board footera