Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/18/2012 1:44 pm  #1

Inroduction: JAG IRS in a '65 Mustang Convertible

on August 13, 2010, 12:23 am, irstang wrote:

I'm new to a forum like this, but I am not new to Mustangs. I bought mine from Citrus Ford in Upland California, April of 1965. My best friend and I drove it home and made the first modification which was to trash the horse from the grill. We, also, reversed the rear shackles because the car sat all wrong in our minds. The top went down and we cruised through the first summer after H.S. graduation in this car. Many miles later I was rear ended and I should have taken the money and bought another, but instead I brought it back from a total wreck. In 1976, after 250,000 miles, two engines and another bad wreck, the car went into storage in my garage. Between restorations of two other cars I managed to fix a lot bad bodywork from the second wreck. More recently an RC Motorsports MII front end has been installed at a shop called Under Pressure in Huntington Beach, CA.

Several years ago I acquired an XJ6 rear in pieces from a hot rodder in North Pasadena. It is time to get this car back on the road with a decent rear suspension to go along with the new front end.

Thanks to Curt Hamilton, this has been a very rewarding experience so far and I would advise anyone needing a rebuild of their IRS to contact Hamilton Automotive Industries, (818) 787-9695, early in your project.

I will be gathering some pictures and write about the decisions made to date here shortly. At this writing there is a lot of cutting and preparation for welding going on under the direction of Matt Hunt at Under Pressure. Without his encouragement and expertise my project would not have gotten off to what I believe is a good start.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

7/18/2012 1:45 pm  #2

Re: Inroduction: JAG IRS in a '65 Mustang Convertible

on August 13, 2010, 9:03 am, Daze wrote:

Welcome to the forum!!!!!! Pictures Pictures Pictures

Would love to see some pix of the car, and the work so far.

7/18/2012 1:48 pm  #3

on August 26, 2010, 11:00 pm, irstang wrote:

Caged Jag IRS tacked in place
Tubular cage is tacked in place for checking location dimensions. Suspension is at or near maximum shock extension length with temporary straps. More pictures are on the way.

7/18/2012 1:49 pm  #4

on August 28, 2010, 12:31 am, irstang wrote:

Left Wheel Well
Flared the wheel wells many years ago. IRS was narrowed close to stock Mustang width. Removed stock bump stop in favor of a new design. I'm thinking of welding some angle stock on once the wheel wells are tubbed and use XKE bump stops. Better ideas are welcome.

7/18/2012 1:51 pm  #5

on August 28, 2010, 12:37 am, Daze wrote:

how much clearance do you have between the...
back of the hub and the frame rail?? also just curious how long are your half shafts from u-joint center to u-joint center???

7/18/2012 1:52 pm  #6

on August 28, 2010, 1:17 am, irstang wrote:

I will have to measure the half shafts for you. I specified a flange to flange dimension at 58.5 inches. The outside of the "frame" rails on the 65 measured 40 inches at the rear axle centerline. I am away from the car until Monday. I will measure the clearance of the hub to the rails. As I recall it was about 1/2 inch.

7/18/2012 1:53 pm  #7

on August 30, 2010, 3:53 pm, irstang wrote:

Half Shafts are 14.5 inches, u-joint to u-joint.

7/18/2012 1:54 pm  #8

on August 28, 2010, 6:56 pm, Daze wrote:

I would use a short threaded aftermarket bump stop
you could then make a gusseted L bracket with a screw in bung and attach it to the frame above the hub.

7/18/2012 1:56 pm  #9

on August 30, 2010, 12:03 am, irstang wrote:

Could work. It looks like a pinion snubber from a '57 Chevy. I believe I have one in the garage.

7/18/2012 1:58 pm  #10

on September 1, 2010, 9:19 am, Daze wrote:

here is a picture of the bump stops I purchased...
along with the moog part # they are between 1.25" and 1.5" long and I believe were less than $10.00 for the pair.

7/18/2012 1:59 pm  #11

on September 13, 2010, 1:12 am, irstang wrote:

Jag XKE Bump Stop
Here is a picture of the Jaguar bump stop that I intend to use.

7/18/2012 2:00 pm  #12

on September 13, 2010, 9:06 am, Daze wrote:

Thats a fantastic bump stop!!! I think I will be ordering me some of those
you would happen to have a bigger picture so we can see where it hangs in relation to the top of the cage??

7/18/2012 2:01 pm  #13

on September 13, 2010, 9:59 pm, irstang wrote:

Time to give credit where credit is due:
http://davesetype.co.uk/etype10.htm

I found this site by using google images for "jaguar xke bump stop"

I believe Welsh Enterprises has them, but a phone call would be in order because they do not have a picture to go with part number C-40158

7/18/2012 2:04 pm  #14

on September 9, 2010, 10:10 am, Daze wrote:

is the flange just sand blasted???
also just curious did you change the bolt pattern to a ford pattern or leave it as Jag intended??

7/18/2012 2:05 pm  #15

on September 9, 2010, 11:30 pm, irstang wrote:

Flanges are just bead blasted for now. Bolt pattern is early Chevy/Jag. They are the same. I will throw a wheel adapter in the trunk with the spare tire and jack.

7/18/2012 2:07 pm  #16

on on September 9, 2010, 12:02 am, irstang wrote:

A brace was welded between the frame rails and clearance for the Curt Hamilton cage was gained by removing the shock supports and cutting a bit more as shown. The front tube ends up in this recess after beefing up the rails. The first two pics are the drivers side. The finished tube welds on the pass side are shown in the last picture.

7/18/2012 2:08 pm  #17

on September 10, 2010, 12:55 am, irstang wrote:

There is a lot going on in this early picture of the left hand forward cage tube installation.

The stock shock mount cross member has been removed to gain space. The frame rails have 1/8 sheet stock tacked in place. The top tube is positioned 6 inches forward of the wheelbase centerline and about 8 inches higher than the old solid axle.

These dimensions are approximate because we installed the rear end assembly in the cage and checked wheelbase, center to center position, and leveled the lower control arms before tacking the tube in place.

1/27/2015 9:57 pm  #18

It's totaly strong and like to see.

Board footera