Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/22/2011 7:44 pm  #1

Hello

New to this forum. I will be installing both the front and rear suspension from a 86 xj6 in a 56 f100.  Glad to find this forum as a technical source and also a place to lurk around.
Thanks to the people who have done the work to put this forum together and to keep it going.

Bruce

1/22/2011 9:33 pm  #2

Re: Hello

welcome to the forum!!!  Got any pictures of your old Ford, we would love to see them.  Where are you at in the IRS install process??

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/23/2011 3:22 pm  #3

Thank you for the welcome Mr. Daze. I have read many of your tech articles over at Ford Muscle. I have enjoyed each and every one very much.
So where am I on this project? Like any good project the best kind involve getting new tools. In my case since this is going to be a big frame off project I need an A frame hoist for my home shop. I am going to make roll around stands for the cab and bed so I can stack them up (one roll around frame much wider and taller than the other) to leave enough room to work. I have the I beam, trolley, chain hoist, big caster wheels and frame work, I just need to weld it all together. And that is going to have to wait now because thirty years of dairy farming and then another 14 in a diesel repair envirnment have not done a congenital issue I have with my back any good, so two weeks ago I had back surgery. I am cooling my heals at home now, doing lots of research on this project and carefully buying some parts with some money I had put aside for this project. Friday I scored a new in the box t56 trans for $1500. They may have another one left, p.m. me if you want the vendors name.
The weekend before I had surgery, I made the effort to get the front and rear ends out from under the xj6 and and they are now stashed in an old Dairy barn waiting for overhaul. I am going to install a true trac or other quiet carrier and most likey a 4:30 ring and pinion, which will work nicely with the double overdrive on the t56 (.80, .62). I just passed on a nice Dana 44 detroit locker on craigs list because I had one before in a Bronco and remember the looks from people on the street when it would ratchet on corners if you didn't treat it just right.
I have read lots of pro's and cons on solid mount vs. using the Jag stuff, both front and rear, and have decieded that since this is going to be a 100% driver I am going to mount them up just like they came out of the Jag, the rear may be a stinker to do this way to get the ride height I want and still fit the whole cage in there.  Lots of frame work. That being said, I spent quite a bit of time last night on the Watts Link articles posted here. I had not considered that before...
As far as pictures go about all I have is the truck and donner car as they arrived on my trailer and the ft and rear as they wait in the barn. And to be frank I am going to have to study up here a bit before I try posting those.

Bruce

1/24/2011 11:40 am  #4

Sounds like a fun project, I am betting your back cant heal fast enough as you are anxious to get out there and get to work.  What engine are you planning on putting in this project??  When you upgrade the IRS differential are you planning to use Dana pars or Salisbury parts??

Oldb wrote:

I have read lots of pro's and cons on solid mount vs. using the Jag stuff, both front and rear, and have decieded that since this is going to be a 100% driver I am going to mount them up just like they came out of the Jag, the rear may be a stinker to do this way to get the ride height I want and still fit the whole cage in there.  Lots of frame work. That being said, I spent quite a bit of time last night on the Watts Link articles posted here. I had not considered that before...

sounds like a good plan.  I can see the driver appeal.  that is why I set mine up the way I did with the bushings as isolators.  The advantage I have in my situation os I can change out the rubber bushings for polly or vise versa if the rear is not rigged enough or if there is to much road vibration.  You may want to consider something similar, use the cage but rather than using the original Jag mounts fab up something that uses a shackle bushing that way you have options.  When I put a Jag unit in my Galaxie I plan on doing just that.  That watts link trailing arm is beautiful and if I could make it work I would.  It would be a vast improvement over the OEM trailing arm design.  Just my opinions so take them as they are... ramblings

Oldb wrote:

As far as pictures go about all I have is the truck and donner car as they arrived on my trailer and the ft and rear as they wait in the barn. And to be frank I am going to have to study up here a bit before I try posting those.

We would love to see even those pix.  "Forum info" gives info on posting pix or you can email them to me and I will post them for you.

1/24/2011 6:43 pm  #5

Daze,
The engine will be a 351C .  Austrailian heads by power heads, 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, 60cc chamber ported, polished. The block is at the machinist now. I have spent hours on the Clevelands Forever site, which the more you read the more it looks like you need a degree in physics to put one of these together, finally I decieded to forget the extra oil line and oil passage mods. I am having the lifter bores bushed and that is that. Hyd roller, roller rockers. I am stubburn and since I was a teenager I have wanted a Cleveland. Because they were "Hot" in those days. And I am big on putting a Ford in a Ford, but after working with  GM 6.0's  at work I came extremely close to jumping camp and building one of those. Horsepower with those is like falling off a log. Anyway, the 351C will be stroked to 393 or 408, have not decieded yet. 60 cc chamber means dished pistons to run on pump gas.
I will be using a dana carrier and dana ring and pinion. I mispoke on the 4:30 ratio, 4:27 closest to that for a 44. Not buying anything for the center section until I have it apart  and know for sure what is in there.

Bruce

1/24/2011 7:53 pm  #6

I hope you don't mind me using the web address you provided to add those three pix to your post.  that is a sharp looking truck!!!!  Is the paint and body as nice as it appears??  won't give you a hard time about the 351C at all there good engines.  I like the 351W my self but cant argue with the nostalgia of finally getting what you once dreamed of having.  Let us know when you tare in to the project, also I hope you take lots of pictures

1/24/2011 9:39 pm  #7

Thanks for helping out on the pictures. The body I think is pretty good, can't find a spec of rust on the underside, but paint can hide a lot. It looks ok at the distance the picture was taken, much closer and it becomes clear it was not done by a pro.
Great site, keep up the good work!
Bruce

Board footera