Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/08/2010 8:14 am  #1

Hey Joe, question about your brake fittings

On the old forum Joe wrote:

Everything that I have read about the Jag brake lines/flares was that the Girling flare was not very good. The flare actually molds to the bottom of the hole in the caliper so the first time you tighten it down it works great. After that however there are no guarentees. I found an article by a guy that builds race cars in Britain somewhere. He stated that he uses -3an bulkhead fittings so I gave it a try and they work really well. I just wish they were a little shorter. I could only find one length. Summit AER-FBM2769 $3.75 ea A little pricy but not too bad.

I dissassembled the parking brake mechanism and removed all of the self adjusting hardware. It was clear from the condition of old pads that came with the IRS that the self adjusters were just something else to go wrong. You can't see it in this photo but the rod that runs through the backside is actually threaded so I can adjust the parking brake manually and then run a cotter pin through the hole where they used lock wire.

Did you simply tighten the fittings down, or did you use some sort of sealant on the threads???

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/08/2010 9:50 am  #2

Re: Hey Joe, question about your brake fittings

I did not use sealant on the threads. My understanding was that the bevel on the end of fitting would seat against the bottom of the caliper. Thinking about it though it makes sense to use something. We use teflon tape on the MIG welder tank and that fitting is similiar in design. Thanks!! I'm going to do it.

Last edited by Joe (11/08/2010 9:50 am)

If it's worth building ... it's worth over building

11/08/2010 9:40 pm  #3

Found a fitting that is less bulky and less money than a bulkhead fitting.  Do a search on E-Bay Motors for a 3 AN Aluminum Union Fitting - FCM2050
My Fragola fitting catalog shows these are available in steel as well.  Part Number 581503

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

11/09/2010 8:20 am  #4

Joe wrote:

I did not use sealant on the threads. My understanding was that the bevel on the end of fitting would seat against the bottom of the caliper. Thinking about it though it makes sense to use something. We use teflon tape on the MIG welder tank and that fitting is similiar in design. Thanks!! I'm going to do it.

I wouldn't use teflon tape.  I agree that the angled part of the 3n fitting should create a seal and it probably will however some sort of thread sealer like lock tight might be a good idea.  teflon my cause the fitting to not fully engage against the angled surface and if it is the only thing keeping it from leaking, it will not work because it can not hand the kind of pressure that brake lines see.

irstang wrote:

Found a fitting that is less bulky and less money than a bulkhead fitting.  Do a search on E-Bay Motors for a 3 AN Aluminum Union Fitting - FCM2050
My Fragola fitting catalog shows these are available in steel as well.  Part Number 581503

I did as you suggested and found this fitting.

I am worried that it is two short, you really want the bevel to seat and I worried about the shank being to short to do that.  I found a steel adapter that is 3n to standard inverted flare brake line, but it too had a shank that was to short.

11/22/2010 10:25 pm  #5

Check out the "Easy Bleed" lines from http://www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk/newproducts.html

11/23/2010 8:06 am  #6

He has thicker rotors as well.  I can see how that would help in the case of being able to get a wrench at the bleeder, but as far as getting all the air out you would have to use a power bleeder or vaccumn pump because of the bleeders not being the highest point at the caliper.  Its a cool idea but I think you might be trading one headache for another.  Or did I miss something, thoughts???

11/23/2010 9:50 am  #7

I didn't pick up on the rotors but now that you mention it ... is that a spacer block in between the caliper halves?

The power bleed idea would be pretty cool if you could hook up to one side of the e-z bleed system and open the other side. Bleed both calipers at the same time. 

I'm kind of a simpleton though ... open the bleeder an let fluid run all over the place

If it's worth building ... it's worth over building

11/23/2010 10:36 am  #8

Joe wrote:

I didn't pick up on the rotors but now that you mention it ... is that a spacer block in between the caliper halves?

Yep thats how you do it, all the kits we talked about here on the original IRS forum used spacers between the caliper halves.  I was going to do it and then I realized it required some grinding to the wish bones to get the required clearance and decided against it.

11/23/2010 11:40 pm  #9

Safety wire.  Very smart.

The bleeder hoses function as a siphon and should work just fine.
They will, also, help keep brake fluid off the pads when you bleed the calipers.

11/25/2010 11:24 am  #10

Daze wrote:

Yep thats how you do it, all the kits we talked about here on the original IRS forum used spacers between the caliper halves.  I was going to do it and then I realized it required some grinding to the wish bones to get the required clearance and decided against it.

Lost all self control and ordered the kit, I will post pix after the big brown truck arrives.

Board footera