Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/20/2010 9:18 am  #1

I am a sick sick man (totally suspension related)

So the fluffy white stuff started falling here in NW MT and I took the time to change the tires on my wife's car to the studied verity.  As I pulled off the rear tires I forgot what I was doing, changing the tires, and started looking at the suspension.  Her car is a 2000 Impala which of course is front wheel drive, so  the rear is independent owith out the diff.  I was taking it all in, looking at the struts, how the sway bar attached directly to the struts, the alignment adjustments, the hubs...  finally I realized that I was not there to study the suspension and had a job to finish.  I think I love this stuff just a little to much

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/20/2010 9:33 pm  #2

Re: I am a sick sick man (totally suspension related)

You are not alone.  I can't stop thinking of possible improvements to the Jag installation in my '65.  Here's a concept that I would like to explore further someday.

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

11/21/2010 9:12 am  #3

I love it!!!!!!!!  That is a fantastic concept.  I like the adjustability of torsion bars, you need a little more you crank them up, there to stiff you crank them down.   I have to wonder how stiff a torsion bar would be required, because the wishbones are so long that that would create a lot of leverage on the bars.  LOVE IT!!!

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/22/2010 12:05 am  #4

I was thinking how much trouble it is in the early Mustang to gain clearance for the coilovers.  They also get a bit pricey when you have to buy four.  Then I remembered working on my old '63 Dodge Dart and how simple the front torsion bar suspension setup was designed.  No massive spring tower; just a simple small shock.  Why not apply this thinking to the rear suspension. 

Regarding the long lever arm; that could just mean a large diameter torsion bar.  Mopar used torsion bars on their front suspensions from around 1959 through the mid seventies.  So unless one is putting a Hemi in the trunk of their Mustang the length of the Jag LCA should not be a problem.

This is what 1970 Chrysler products looked like: 

For reference,  I was looking at a Hummer and the lever arms are pretty long.  Take a look at where the torsion bars attach to the LCA in this image of a Hummer H2 suspension:

Last edited by irstang (11/22/2010 6:24 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

Board footera