Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/12/2010 3:32 pm  #1

Seeking design suggestions/ advice (sway bar support)

So here it is my sway bar support.

My original plan was to weld in bars that run from the swaybar support directly to the back tie bar, just I had done in the front.  This would add regality to the pinion,  but would force the upper sway bar support to connect to the sub frame with bolts. The more I thought about it  I liked the idea of the swaybar support being welded directly to the sub frame.  It not only would be stronger but would also ad strength to the subframe.  the problem then lies in the connection to the rear tie bar.  If I still have bars running from the tie bar to the sway bar support they would have to be a bolt on at the sway bar support.  Then the more I thought about it, I didn't like the sway bar support being attached to the tie bar at all, but felt I still needed extra support for the sway bar mount so contemplated running a steel piece from the base of the sway bar support to the back of the sub frame, and leaving the tie bar as its own piece with nothing attached to it.  (as is illustrated by the red line added to the picture)

I really shouldn't need rear pinion support because the front will keep the pinion from moving.  All that said what do you guys think??

1.   Weld in bars that run from the swaybar support directly to the back tie bar and bolt the sway bar support to the sub frame
2.  Weld the sway bar support directly to the sub frame and have the support bars that are welded to the tie bar bolt to the swaybar support.
3.  Weld the sway bar support directly to the sub frame and, run a steel piece from the base of the sway bar support to the back of the sub frame, and leave the tie bar as its own piece with nothing attached to it.

And of course most importantly WHY???

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/12/2010 10:32 pm  #2

Re: Seeking design suggestions/ advice (sway bar support)

I think your over building, the horizontal force should be minimum. You could attach above the sway bar app. 3/4" and go up and weld app. 4" behind or in front.

11/13/2010 7:31 pm  #3

Ralphy wrote:

I think your over building, the horizontal force should be minimum. You could attach above the sway bar app. 3/4" and go up and weld app. 4" behind or in front.

I am concerned about the horizontal force because the end link bushings are polyurethane and so there is some horizontal force as the bar goes through it motions. Also the mount hangs down fairly low and creates a fare mount of leverage on the joint.   Can you explain further  "You could attach above the sway bar app. 3/4" and go up and weld app. 4" behind or in front."  I am having a hard time picturing it.

11/13/2010 8:18 pm  #4

Why don't you make some connecting rod like parts as in this picture of an '05 Mustang.  You could come up with a bar across the subframe up high in front of the fuel tank or get creative with some brackets.  By allowing the connecting rods to pivot you eliminate all the forces you are worried about.  The '05 Mustang live axle moves around a bunch more than our IRS setups.

Last edited by irstang (11/13/2010 8:21 pm)

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

11/13/2010 8:24 pm  #5

IRS I was thinking about that exact setup after my first post the other day.

11/14/2010 6:37 pm  #6

irstang wrote:

Why don't you make some connecting rod like parts as in this picture of an '05 Mustang.  You could come up with a bar across the subframe up high in front of the fuel tank or get creative with some brackets.  By allowing the connecting rods to pivot you eliminate all the forces you are worried about.  The '05 Mustang live axle moves around a bunch more than our IRS setups.

Ralphy wrote:

IRS I was thinking about that exact setup after my first post the other day.

Guys you are supposed to tell me which of my ideas is the best not give me other ideas, just kidding of course.  that idea is a good one and I would do it in a heart beat, but the pivot mounts are slightly under the fuel tank (you cant tell that from the picture) so there is no way I could do that with out having to move the fuel tank, which I really don't want to do

11/18/2010 11:39 pm  #7

So which way have you decided to go?

"'Cars are like primates. They need to squat to go.'—Carroll Smith"

11/20/2010 9:21 am  #8

irstang wrote:

So which way have you decided to go?

Since I can't use the hanging, pivoting mounts, like you guys suggested, I will continue with the cross support that I fabbed up and go with the idea I was leaning towards and run a triangulated support back to the sub frame.  However I don't think it has to be really heavy, so I am only going to use .60 wall 3/4"  square tubing

Board footera