Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/20/2011 7:17 pm  #1

Design suggestions requested

on July 13, 2010, 12:23 pm, Daze wrote:

I am in the process of fabricating my upper shock mounts. The most important thing to me besides strength and quality is that the upper mount be adjustable. As you all know the angle of the coil over shock will change the effective spring rate. this will also effect ride height and I want this adjust-ability so that I can dial my ride in right where I want it. my original plan was to use eight, 5 hole brackets from speedway motors, two per shock. the plates would be welded and secured to the bottom of the crossbars and then I would have 5 shock locations to choose from. The problem I am running in to is the coil over shock body is coming in to contact with the mounts. I can modify the mounts to clear and then proceed as planned. I like this idea because everything is solid, but getting the clearance I need is proving problematic.

The other option is to use a one position shock mount and then make the mount it self movable. I could easily weld up several saddles withe a 2" X 1.5" I.D. that the shock mount would then weld to. These saddle mounts could then slide the length of the rectangular tubing and be locked in place at there desired location by running bolts trough the saddles and cross bars. This design would not be as strong but would probably work as well, be easier to make and probably look cleaner. what are your thoughts???

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/20/2011 7:19 pm  #2

Re: Design suggestions requested

on July 13, 2010, 2:13 pm, Mustsed wrote:

On my 1. IRS install I did it the way like in the.......... second paragraph of your post.

I made the shock mounts so they can slide on the cross member. A threaded rod was then welded to the shock mounts and was secured on the most outward of the cross member by going trough a welded angle iron with a hole. I then dialed in the suspension to our liking and welded the shock mounts solid to the cross member and removed the adjustment parts.

Below is a pic where the adjuster is visible.

Mustsed

10/20/2011 7:20 pm  #3

on July 13, 2010, 2:19 pm, Daze wrote:

Verry interesting!!! I like it, however I want to keep the adjust ability. I want to be able to change it in the future if I need more or less tire clearance or if I change spring rates and so on. I am looking for a solution that is solid like a permanent mount but can be changed easily.

10/20/2011 7:21 pm  #4

on July 13, 2010, 5:40 pm, Daze wrote:

Well after messing with it today I realized that... my first option will not work. even if I modify the mounts I can't get the shock to clear due to the large spring seat size. good news is I did figure out how I wanted to do the adjustable single mount. should be nice and solid, more to come.

Board footera