Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/20/2011 5:28 pm  #1

new guy

on June 24, 2010, 7:18 am, Springhill wrote:

Hello all. 2 weeks ago I bought a very nice 1953 Chev 3/4 ton pickup. It has a SBC motor and Muncie 4-speed (ho-hum- ANOTHER SBC rod). Plans call for 425 Cad motor and OD auto trans. It has the original suspension which I will also change.
It came with an uninstalled Fat Man front crossmember and accompanying Mustang II gear for the pointy end and the orig 10-bolt, 6-lug rear. I have had an XJ6 unit that I bought several years ago for a project that I sold to a guy who just had to have it. The Jag unit is as close to perfect dimensionally as you could ask. It's been sitting for a dozen years or more and probably needs everything, certainly brake stuff as there's not much left to the rotors. It's still in the cage, which will, of course get trashed. So, any good sources for parts for these babys would be appreciated. Foregive me if this ground has already been covered, as I haven't read all the posts. I'll also need radius and torque arms. Is Concourse West a good place to shop? I see they don't list prices on their site.
Thanks for listening, hope to talk soon. I have been rodding for 40 years, but never have done an IRS in anything.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/20/2011 5:30 pm  #2

Re: new guy

on June 24, 2010, 8:17 am, Daze wrote:

Fantastic!!!!!!! Someone who is not putting it in a Mustang!!!!! Welcome to the forum. Since most people found this forum due to my web page about my Mustang IRS project there are a lot of us here who are Mustang Guys. you have seen my web page right?? if not you may want to look at it it will help a lot in the rebuild of your unit.

There are a few other makes and models here on the forum but not many so it is good to have another hot rodder in our midst Could you post some pictures of your project??? When I first started my project I went on line to all the parts stores and started adding up the cost of all the rebuild parts. rotors, pads seals bearings, and what not. when it was all said and done my list was for almost $1000.00 in parts. then I found the rebuild kit at CWI it not only cost a bunch less, I think I paid 350.00 for mine, but it also did away with some of the small parts that have to be "set up" so it made the install a lot easier and I was glad I did it.

As far as the trailing arms, are you wanting to use the original jaguar stuff, or make something different?? I would recommend weighting until you have the set up actually in the car before you mess with the trailing arms. how everything lines up and where the best place to mount the trailing arms, isn't always obvious until things are in place.

10/20/2011 5:31 pm  #3

on June 24, 2010, 9:10 am, Springhill wrote:

Thanks for the info, no, I had not seen your site. Very interesting and helpful.
I would like to use something tubular for the trailing arms, but I know I'm not ready for them yet.

10/20/2011 5:33 pm  #4

on June 24, 2010, 8:58 am, Springhill wrote:

Board footera