Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/19/2011 7:42 pm  #1

Daze! UHMW bushings related.......................

on April 19, 2010, 12:53 pm, Mustsed wrote:

Do you have a close up pic of the UHMW bushings you installed in your hubs and wishbones. Would be great to see what it is before buying something I might don't like afterwards. What are your toughts about them?

Mustsed

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/19/2011 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Daze! UHMW bushings related.......................

on April 19, 2010, 3:45 pm, Daze wrote:

I was very impressed with them, so much so that I made my own for the front mount on the... trailing arms   
Mine are not as nice as the ones from the CWI kit but for trailing arm front bushings they will work just fine.

The CWI bushings replace all the small part relating to the hubs and wishbones, making the rebuild a piece of cake.

Once installed they look clean and are a nice tight fit. The feel reminds me of the feel of a good quality heim where moving the ball you get a little drag, but they are smooth as glass.

Also after machining some UHMW plastic I am very impressed with its strength. the stuff coming off the blank was about the size shape and STRENGTH of fishing line. tough stuff. Let me know if you need more info or more pictures.

10/19/2011 7:47 pm  #3

on April 19, 2010, 6:22 pm, farna wrote:

Mine has all the original needle bearings in the lower control arms. A pain to get back in if any of the needles fall out, but they are super slick! Jag built those things with aircraft quality parts. Notice all the bolt heads drilled for safety wire?

Last edited by Daze (10/19/2011 7:48 pm)

10/19/2011 7:49 pm  #4

on April 20, 2010, 1:04 pm, DC wrote:

I used Nylatron for mine very similar to Daze
I made stainless shafts for the nylatron to rotate on so I do not use any lube. Since nylatron has the molybdenum disulfide in it for self lube action, it has no squeak or wear.

10/19/2011 7:51 pm  #5

on May 1, 2010, 9:38 am, Joe wrote:

Another option ... I purchased a 1 foot piece of UHMW Oil Filled from McMaster-Carr P/N 5243T21 for $10. Gave it to my local machine shop and they machined up four pieces for the hub only. Cost me 2 bottles of their favorite Merlot.

10/19/2011 7:52 pm  #6

on May 1, 2010, 9:59 am, Daze wrote:

McMaster-Carr is a great source for parts like that Fastenall also has those sorts of materials as well. Got any pictures of the bushings you had made??

Board footera