Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/23/2013 6:48 am  #1

Interesting FE Facts

As for powering a 427 COBRA, the FE is the only choice. But what is wrong with a 351-W or a 351-C? The FE engines, 352 and 360 C.I.D, will make more power when comparably equipped. The F.E. is lighter than the 351-C, and with an aluminum manifold is about the same weight as the 351-W. When aluminum heads are installed, the F.E. is about 40lbs lighter than the 351-W. With this knowledge at hand, there is little reason to build a COBRA with anything but a F.E. on board.

Even a budget car can enjoy F.E. power. A 352, 360, or a 390 can be found in most wrecking yards. The absolute worst head used on a F.E. of any year, flows better than either the popular 1969 351-W, 4-V HEAD or the NEW GT-40 Head.

In late 1962 the 7-Liter Limit had not gone into effect yet and Ford produced a few 483 C.I.D. F.E.'s. 1963 brought the NASCAR 7-Liter Limit. (The 483 was the first F.E. to use the 4.233 Bore size-the stroke was 4.3".)

http://dovemanufacturing.com/insights_into_the_ford_fe.html

Ford's 427 V8 was introduced in 1963 as a race-only engine. It was developed for racing. The true displacement of the 427 was actually 425 cubic inches, but Ford called it the 427 because 7 liters (427 cu in) was the maximum displacement allowed by several racing organizations at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FE_engine

Ralphy

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FORD-GALAXIE-NASCAR-483-CU-IN-FE-V8-ENGINE-HARDTOP-45-/18/!B7Qco5!!2k~$%28KGrHqZ,!ksEy+jCy,eIBMzskiv,Dg~~-1_35.JPG[/img]

Last edited by Ralphy (11/23/2013 6:58 am)

1/03/2014 11:41 pm  #2

Re: Interesting FE Facts

I am not sure where you got your weights but you are off by quite a lot.   Any one who knows how to build power would look at this FE vs W compairison and ask Why bother. The 427 FE is and always has been a short stroke race power plant. It has an acceptable rod to stroke ratio and with the short stroke and internal balance will rev into the twilight zone. The only limiting factor is the available metalurgy on the con. rods. The 427W is for all practical use a truck engine. It has more stroke than bore. the square 4.030x 4.00 = 408cid  Its never a good idea to go past 4.030  on a stock W block  . Most 427W kits use a 4.030x4.17 stroke. with a 6.2 rod that delivers a 1.48:1 rod to stroke ratio and is externally balanced. That is not a racing engine or even a high performance engine. That design will make good low rpm torque and tear its self apart at high rpms.. With the inferior rod angle and faster piston speeds you get the worst of both worlds and that ends in shorter life span of the engine. . The rod angle on a 1.48 ratio would put too much side load on the piston.  It might make power but not for very long. The whole concept of making a 427W with out going to a larger bore was a bad idea. For a less than square 427W larger cylinders are a must. That can only be done with a Ford nascar block. Fontana or aftermarket block. Or my least favorite solution, furnas brazing new cylinders into the stock block. .200 is pretty much the limit due to bore spacing. With a 4.200 piston you can get pretty close to the 427FE's 4.230 bore x3.780 stroke. The 428FE would be a safer design to copy with its 4.130 bore x3.980 stroke. That wouldnt be pushing the sealing area between cylinders so hard. 4.200 pistons require cooper rings and no head gaskets. Like what they did with the full race boss 429's .  From the first time I saw a build up of the 427W I knew it wasnt a performance engine. Just by the numbers alone, It cannot be a performer with a 4500- 5000 rpm limit. To put one in a cobra would be stupid. The 408 W will make more hp and similar torque and be reliable while reving to 6000 rpms. It would be silly to build an engine to have displacement bragging rights at the expence of reliability and HP. From my sources the FE weighs in at 650-680lbs dry the 351w weighs in at 510-550lbs dry. Whats the point in saying aluminum heads will make the FE lighter? not if you put aluminum heads on the windsor too..  . W heads were never the best flowing heads out there. But you didnt mention the boss 302 or the tunnel port 302 heads.They are direct fit windsor parts.   Either one of them will out flow most if not all stock FE heads.. Not the tunnel port, SOHC or highrise heads. They didnt come stock between the fenders of anything.. The boss 351 was the fastest car ford built on the 1/4 mile until receantly. None of the stock FE powered cars ford built were better in the 1/4 mi.than the B351.  Ford didnt build the Cobra, AC did. 

Last edited by tyrellracing (1/04/2014 12:10 am)

1/08/2014 2:14 pm  #3

Tyrell, those are quotes from Jim Dove. If you click the link I had provided you will see. So who is Jim Dove? He has been manufacturing and building FE parts for decades. I will find the pics again later of a stroked 390 motor, no not mine. Minus flywheel plus headers with aluminum heads and manifold. The guy has the motor on a scale it weighs in at 510 lbs. Another note Jim Dove purchased the blueprints and tooling from Ford long ago. He's also been a popular FE engine supplier to Supermodified owners. As I mentioned before an FE is not a big block motor it's a medium block.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/08/2014 3:36 pm)

1/08/2014 2:49 pm  #4

"My stroker 390 weighed 510 pounds, with everything except the flywheel, and including carb and headers."

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1205024862/weight+of+390

So my guess would be near 610 lbs stock.

As far as rods as you mentioned. There are many variations for the FE's and I believe one to be fairly strong. But forget about stock rods. If your building up a new motor, you can buy an aftermarket rotating assembly. Forged crank which most are fitted with Chevy 7" rods. Also adding cross bolt mains. Let's blow the budget! Issues are oil pickup and lifters. FE's can eat up solid roller lifters, best to use hydraulic rollers. Then it takes a knowledgable FE builder. They can be a bit tricky to assemble, especially clearances in reguard to intake to block. It's really not a bad motor.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/08/2014 3:51 pm)

1/08/2014 7:19 pm  #5

Dove's weights I know seem questionable. I did see a weight for the Cleveland being 575 lbs. That's close to his statement. My brother in laws dad, was and is best friends with him Jim Dove, since high school. We had once made plans to visit his foundry/machine shop. He's not far from the Cleveland engine plant. I'll remember to ask him. The guy from what I hear is very eccentric, quite or introverted. I hope to score some deals when we do go.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (1/09/2014 5:42 am)

1/09/2014 9:14 am  #6

I wonder if Jim's engines have improvements/changes which make for a lighter weight engine?  I can name the number of people on zero fingers who wouldn't make what they feel are improvements over what a factory made, especially with factory blue prints.

For example the block I'm using for my build 348/409 was recently recast in Aluminum by World Products.  It was setup to go upto a 620'ish displacement but starts at 500 or displacement.  And there were important changes to the journal sizes, front/rear seals and other places.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Board footera