Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

1/13/2011 3:20 pm  #1

Simple upgrade to improve an air compressor

I know many of you use air tools and to drive them have an air compressor.  I have one of the 60 gallon upright models and the one thing I always hated about it was bleeding it after I was done using it.  The petcock liked to stick and being that you are bending down and the valve is up-side-down I could never remember which way to turn it.  Any way because it was a pain to use I didn't bleed it every time... in fact I went way longer than I should have to bleed it.  I decided I was way over due and went to bleed it yesterday and found the petcock completely frozen.  So I let all the air out of the tank and removed the petcock.  I took it to the hardware store but they didn't have one in the correct size.  What they did have was this.

I don't know why I didn't think to switch out to a ball valve a long time ago.  This should be  a much better option, easy to use, less likely to freeze up, and a slick way to go.  Just thought I would pass it on.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/13/2011 7:52 pm  #2

Re: Simple upgrade to improve an air compressor

I like the ball valve ... here's another one just because. We have the compressor in a shed and copper lines running into the garage. Of course the shed is always packed with stuff and getting to the compressor is a project in itself. So we removed the petcock and installed a piece of compressor hose into the threaded bung and then put an air nozzle on the other end of the hose. We can now take a plastic cup and point the air nozzle in the cup and fill it up with water 

Last edited by Joe (1/13/2011 7:53 pm)

If it's worth building ... it's worth over building

Board footera