Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/20/2012 12:28 pm  #1

Question on using T-Bird uprights

Hello all great forum you have here.

I have a Fiat 131 and I am planning on using a T-Birds IRS in. The car has strut towers in the rear that I was hoping to use, but if I do then I would have to mount my strut to the upper control arm, and I am concerned if the upper mount on the upright will be strong enough?

So, my plan was to do something like this setup here, only that my strut would be mounted to the upper control arm, and then of course mounted inside the shock tower. Do you guys see any problems with this? Will; the upper control arm and the upper mount on the upright be strong enough? I as because every setup I see,  the coilover/shock/spring is mounted to the lower control arm. My car will probably weigh around 2400lbs.

11/20/2012 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Question on using T-Bird uprights

Below the is the pic of the setup I was going to copy, only with the coilover shock mounted onto the upper control arm

Last edited by texaco_jack (11/20/2012 1:21 pm)

11/20/2012 12:30 pm  #3

11/20/2012 3:30 pm  #4

By doing it this way I would assume the strut would be centered over the UCA. That's a plus! There are strut setups that hard mount to the upright. Same but different, I see no problem.

Welcome TJ!

Ralphy

11/20/2012 3:53 pm  #5

Yes the strut will be centered over the UCA and consequently the axle shaft as well, so if you see no problem then this is good news!

Appreciate it Ralphy

11/20/2012 8:38 pm  #6

That is provided you use a UCA just like the one pictured. Having a two point inner mount, so it doesn't start rocking.

http://www.utvblog.net/kawasaki/2011-models/2011-teryx-750-fi-4x4-sport/

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/20/2012 8:42 pm)

11/21/2012 9:01 am  #7

Yep, I was planning on doing a two point mount on the UCA. I have noticed that most UCA's are shorter than their counterpart LCA's, and from what I have read , that allows for a camber change as the suspension cycles. Is there a certain ratio of lengths that you recommend? Should the UCA be 50% as long as the LCA? 60&? etc.

Thanks again ralphy!

11/21/2012 10:18 am  #8

The basic formula is 2/3rds. My C3 is app. 18" lower camber rod, 12" upper halfshaft length. Halfshaft serves as the upper.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/21/2012 10:19 am)

11/21/2012 10:41 am  #9

Alright 2/3rds it is. Thanks Ralphy.

I should have most of it done in a few weeks, I'll post some pics of my setup.

11/21/2012 2:06 pm  #10

Those are "Rough Ratios."
I'd take a few minutes and use some of the free software out there and do the whole analysis.  Check out the tread:
http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=263

Don't spend too much time - over thinking it - but you may find a spot that is "sweeter" and with a significantly different ratio than 2:3.
The location of the inner pivots, the lengths of both Control Arms, Track, and CG, all factor into establishing the roll center. 
The Roll Center, CG, and Loads,  then factor into your Jacking Force.

In any case - at least the 2/3 Ration "should" be better than what you currently have - maybe, kinda,-sorta.

Sufficiently vague - class dismissed!

Ralphy - you weren't Baiting Me -- Were You?!

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

11/21/2012 6:53 pm  #11

No not yet, I was ready to pull the trigger with RC. You out drew me! I hope I emphasized basic properly as a approximate 2/3rd's.  Also included is the roll axis and if I repeat correctly from irstang. The RA should be lower toward the heavier end of the car. Typically RC/roll center is lower up front since there is more weight there. Now that's A telegraphed bait for irstang! LOL!

Roll Center: First draw two lines from your UCA and LCA to there intersecting point. This point is called the Instant Center or IC. From that point draw a line to the tire center/track width. At the center of the chassis off that line is your static roll center height.

Roll Axis

If you ever watched a NASCAR race. when they pit, they may do a Track Bar adjustment. They are changing the roll center height. the higher the roll center, the more the weight goes to the outside tire.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy (11/21/2012 7:47 pm)

Board footera