Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

12/02/2010 3:58 pm  #1

$600 on a brake kit.... expecting the parts to fit is to much to ask?

So as I posted the other day I got this brake kit

The rotors are very impressive.  the look like some one tok an OEM rotor and then a rotor of a different make and machined the two to fit together with 18 small bolts.  Then the kits comes with:
4 spacers
4 caliper slide pins
8  caliper bolts
2 spring clips

Not a lot for $600

The spacers are a slightly different shape than my calipers, however they do line up with an older set of calipers I have so that make sense

The 4 caliper slide pins are identical to the ones that came off of the car before the caliper halves were separated by 1/4"  in other words they are 1/4" to short.  worst part is they do bridge the gap between the two halves but only by about 1/16" and the location of the keeper pin means they could pop out of the holes they are in while in use, which would bind the pads.  tomorrow I will go in search of a grade 8 bolt long enough to do the job and then I will machine it to accept a c clip to hold it in place.

8 caliper bolts, they fit

The 2 spring clips first needed to have there ends rounded off.  the two tangs on the end of the clips looked like some one had quickly rounded them against a grinder, but I had to do a lot of smoothing on them to get them to fit in their intended holes in the parking brake pieces of the calipers.  Then they fit in said holes and bolted up as designed  ONLY AFTER I spent way to much time reshaping them.  the were bent way to far and not only that they are just regular steel instead of spring steel.  I was able to bend them to the correct shape and there was no springing action.  On the picture below you can see the unmodified spring clip on the left and the modified one on the right.  After I bent them... guess what they matched, in shape, the ones that Jaguar put on the car... who would have thought.

I am going to make it all work, and I can live with the different shape on the spacers, but the pins being to short and the spring clips needing major modifications really makes me mad.  this kit was not cheep and when you spend that kind of money you don't expect to have to modify things.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

1/12/2011 5:49 pm  #2

Re: $600 on a brake kit.... expecting the parts to fit is to much to ask?

Well I sent it all back!!!  took some doing, the company I got it from wanted to charge me a 20% restocking fee and make me eat the shipping both ways, but after some persuasive emails and getting my credit card involved I got ALL of my money back plus the $20.00 it cost me to send the parts back to them.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera