Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/18/2012 5:36 pm  #1

Do you see any major issues with installing the jag coil overs...

on on September 1, 2010, 4:00 pm, Daze wrote:

up-side-down?? I can easily modify my set up to get the proper ride height, but in order to avoid notching the cross bar I would need to install the coil over up-side-down. I know dust could collect in the dust cover, but other than that do you see any issues??? I am only concerned with actual shock problems. there is plenty of clerence on both ends of the suspension with the shocks installed.

on September 9, 2010, 11:27 pm, irstang wrote:

Usually shocks are tailored to provide different damping rates for compression and rebound. For this reason alone, mount them as intended.

on on September 10, 2010, 1:39 am, Mustsed wrote:

The compression and rebounding would ................
not change by turning them upside down! The shock would compress and rebound in any position.

on September 10, 2010, 10:58 pm, irstang wrote:

Are you sure it would not mess up the oil transfer valving internal to the shock?

on September 10, 2010, 11:36 pm, tyrellracing wrote:

Since all shocks must maintain a perfect seal they dont care which direction you install them. They have nothing but the dampening piston and oil in the hydraulic chamber. Any gas bubbles would cause erratic dampening and eventual failure. up side up or upside down, extension is still extension and compression is still compression. Gas shocks never co-mingle the gas with the oil. the oil is pressurized to raise the boiling point of the oil and to prevent cavitation that creates bubbles and shock failure. Pressurization is accomplished by a second piston that separates the gas from the oil.

on September 13, 2010, 10:24 pm, irstang wrote:

[b]Upside Down Shocks
Well I did some research this time before answering the question incorrectly, again. A mono tube shock's extension and rebound is unchanged when one flips it upside down. A twin tube shock should never be mounted upside down.

In the course of my research, I contacted two big name shock manufacturers. One for off road racing and the other, a high end, high cost, road racing and street shock manufacturer. The off road site had a drawing of a mono tube shock with a piston that separates the gas from the oil within the shock. This type of shock can be mounted upside down and the manufacturer states that their mono tube shocks can be mounted upside down. The high end road racing shock I asked about is a twin tube type. Their response was to never mount them upside down. The twin tube design will not properly maintain separation of the oil and gas. I would expect partial leakdown (loss of friction over a portion of the stroke) to occur.

on on September 14, 2010, 8:58 am, Daze wrote:

Thanks for looking in to it
good news for me is that the KYBs are monotube so I am good to go

on on September 15, 2010, 1:16 am, tyrellracing wrote:

Who told you that? Bilstein claims that it is absolutely impossible for the oil and gas to co mingle weather it is the mono tube, twin tube or any other design. If you buy a new Chevy truck there is a 50/50 chance the shock will be factory mounted upside down. All new chev pu trucks I have seen in the last ten years have BILSTEIN twin tube nitrogen charged shocks. The oils movement in the shock is so violent that it would instantly fail if simply inverting the shock allowed the the two to mix. Thousands of lbs hydraulic pressure can be generated just by hitting a hard bump. The greater the dampening the higher the pressure. If the oil cannot escape with 1000 plus lbs pressure how on earth would keeping the shock upright prevent this from occurring? Have any of you guys disassembled a shock before? The afco twin tube shocks on the front of my car cost 735.00 for a pair new and can be rebuilt. These are high end racing shocks and I have been into them once to add the additional valve springs that they came with. They are able to be mounted either way and it is recommended by the manufacturer to mount them upside down to reduce un-sprung weight. What name brands were you told couldn't be inverted? What two company's did you get this info from?

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera