Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/01/2010 4:57 pm  #1

What do you think of my extremely light, fiber composite drive line???

Did I mention the fibers were wood pulp and the other composite materials were duct tape and cardboard glue

I was working on my pinion support crossbar and needed a stand in for the drive line.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

11/02/2010 8:01 pm  #2

Re: What do you think of my extremely light, fiber composite drive line???

I am surprised no one commented on my "extremely light, fiber composite drive line"  I thought it was funny.    I got my actual drive shaft back from the machine shop today and it looks fantastic.  My wallet is $100 liter but thats OK, for that price I had it shortened, balanced, new u-joints installed and they even painted it for me.

11/03/2010 5:32 am  #3

I chuckled ... a little    A little off topic but I notice you are running glasspacks with an X-pipe and side exhaust. 2 -1/4" pipe? Long tube headers? How do you like the sound?

If it's worth building ... it's worth over building

11/03/2010 9:13 am  #4

Joe wrote:

I notice you are running glass-packs with an X-pipe and side exhaust. 2 -1/4" pipe? Long tube headers? How do you like the sound?

When I first got the car running I bought a used exhaust from a parted out 66 Mustang.  It was long tube headers welded to 32" glass packs and side exit with no crossover of any kind.  The car was loud and had a really nice lope to it being that the exhaust banks were individual and separated by the car.  In other words because the exhaust didn't exit near by each other out the back the lope was intensified.   

When I redid the exhaust I knew the X-pipe would act some what like a muffler so I went with 24" glass packs,  I also knew I would loose much of the loap.  After I got it all put together and fired it up the over all volume was about the same, as I figured the loap was almost completely gone, BUT the roar the car makes when the RPMs go up is something special.  It also should make more power so I am very happy with it. Here is a quote from a post I made on another forum

On FYI Ford (a Mustang specific forum) Daze wrote:

This is the second time I have built my own exhaust but the first one I did, (on the Galaxie) was taking an exhaust I already had from a parts car and modifying it for my application. The mustang exhaust I built from scratch. I started with 2 headers, two collectors, two 45 degree elbows, two 24" glass-packs and a 10' stick of 2.25" exhaust pipe. The elbows were cut and welded to form an "X" pipe and then I began cutting and welding up the 10' stick to attach it all together. Rather then buying more elbows or having a local exhaust shop bend the pipe I prefer the cut and rotate method of making bends. If I need a 22 degree bend I cut the pipe at 11 degrees and then turn one of the pieces 180 degrees and weld it back together. In the case of a 90 I make three 30 degree cuts. The end result looks good and should flow almost as well as a mandrel bent piece and way better than a ribbed elbow.

Here is the side view there is about 6" from the bottom of the headers to the ground

This is the over all exhaust

Just to give you an idea of what I had I decided to place the old exhaust next to the new exhaust for comparison

My favorite thing about this exhaust it the nearly direct flow through. With the elbow at the end removed you can look down the collector on the drivers side and see all the way through to the end of the glass-pack on the passengers side. The same is true of the other side.

I have two 10" long polished stainless steel tips that were on order when the pix were taken.  They have sense been welded to the elbows and the whole exhaust (except the polished tips) was ceramic coated.

11/03/2010 6:31 pm  #5

Very nice !!  Been spending some time researching exhaust ... flow, velocity, EGT, lots to learn out there 

If it's worth building ... it's worth over building

11/03/2010 6:59 pm  #6

Hey Joe, BTW I like the signature and the Avatar!!  Thanks for making good use of the forum features.

Board footera