Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

11/24/2011 11:14 am  #1

Chassis and Suspension Books

Have any users bought books on suspension design etc....
List your favorite and or least favorite.

I have, How To Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn, which I like for it's simplicity.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your-Car-Handle/dp/sitb-next/0912656468

Also, Competition Car Suspension by Allan Staniforth, which is a little harder for me to grasp some areas.
http://www.amazon.com/Competition-Car-Suspension-Practical-Handbook/dp/1844253287

Last edited by Ralphy (11/24/2011 11:22 am)

11/25/2011 3:55 am  #2

Re: Chassis and Suspension Books

I guess my top two are:

1.  Paul Van Valkenburgh did Race Car Engineering Mechanics - mid 70s, and,

2.  Fred Puhn's,  How To Make Your Car Handle mentioned in Ralphy's post. 

(But I'm on the road for 3 weeks and could only fit 2 in the car!)

If you are looking for the post-graduate level texts --- look for Milliken&Miliken's Race Car Vehicle Dynamics (900 pages) and the associated workbook (near 300 pages + CD).  NOT CHEAP - but very detailed.

Chassis Engineering   by Herb Adams can be found 2nd hand for about 10 bucks + shipping

For a quick overview on handling (Corvette C3 focused - because of date)  - if you can find it - Herb Adams published a 63 page mini-book/brochure - aptly titled; "CORVETTE HANDLING - A Performance Handbook." It looks sort of "self published - no ISBN." 1983 is the date, soft cover. Well done though.

I have a few more back on the shelf and can add when I get home.

Cheers - Jim

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

5/21/2013 2:44 pm  #3

Re: Chassis and Suspension Books

Well, I've been goofing off long enough, and so I'd better share a few of the titles I've added to my library:

New Directions in Suspension Design: Making the Fast Car Faster  Colin Campbell  Good for engineers - as is Miliken - but small enough to carry along and read and review.

How to Build Motorcycle-engined Racing Cars Tony Pashley  Not so much a suspension book, but does cover a lot of basics - like upright design etc as part of a How-To for making a race car.

High Speed - Low Cost Alan Staniforth -- AHHH this one is a treaasure!  Alan was an RAF navigator and then took up race car design - fancy that.  And this book covers the design and build of his Terripin series of race cars that were very popular in the UK.  He "invented" the String Computer - and shows how to make one in this book.  He has since passed on to another place - but I've spoken with his daughter several tiomes, and then and bought a set of his plans for an open wheel racer - Terrapin - as a tribute.  It is on my list of things to do!

Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics  SAE (compliation) - again an engineering approach to a number of topics Not as comprehensive as Milliken's wiorks - but a set of smaller articles that were published by SAE and compiled in a Hardcover.

Race and Rally Car Sourcebook: The Guide to Building and Modifying a Competition Car  Allan Staniforth (again), an otther of Alan';s works.  It covers some nice bits and pieces, but not as nice as his:
Competition Car Suspension: Design, Construction, Tuning - this one has a lot of information and I probably have 30 post-it and dogeared pages in this one!

Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design - Michael Costin - Focused on Chassis Design -- but it starts with the Tyres/wheels and Suspension!  He and Terry take you through teh basics and then start with a blank sheet of paper.  Nice discussions of CG, Anti-Dive/Anti-Squat etc too.

How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle Mark Savitske -- Mark is a great guy and fun to talk to.  He has a bunch of stories.  He is based roughly in the PA/NJ/NY area he has a great handle on front suspensions as well, supporting a number of autocrossers, etc.  My front suspension is now SPC tubular A-Arm (uppers) with extended ball joints.  Waiting to run. 

The Race Car Chassis  Design, Structures and Materials for Road, Drag and Circle Track Open- andClosed-Wheel Chassis  -- Forbes Aird - a bit like Herb Adams's  Chassis Engineering, but a useful companion,

Advanced Race Car Suspension Development -- Steve Smith  This one also has a bunch of sticky notes and bent pages. 
Also his, The Trans Am and Corvette Chassis, Design/Theory/Construction phamplet is a good find with a nice summary of some of the key topics. 

I'll caution you - some of these can be VERY expensive, but if you shop around and are patient you can find some excellent values. And get smarter in the process -- if you read them.  I find myself re-reading again and again.  I've felt like I've had an opportunity to brush up my earlier engineering degrees (Aero/Mechanical) and Systems Engineering and work towards an unofficial PhD on the IRS.  But I'm clearly no where near that.   I've been also reading and reviewing a number of Aero texts but that would be for a different forum. 

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock (5/21/2013 2:50 pm)

UNDERCONSTRUCTION! Highly Modified C3 Corvette
         Dual Wishbone IRS w Subframe + Custom Uprights

Board footera