Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/21/2011 8:08 pm  #1

For your viewing pleasure

on May 3, 2010, 5:47 pm Daze wrote:

I was looking on eBay and I saw this IRS unit from an 86 corvette. looked interesting so I figure I would post the eBay pictures. Its quite a bit different than the JAg unit even though it is a Dana 44 

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/21/2011 8:09 pm  #2

Re: For your viewing pleasure

on May 3, 2010, 9:10 pm, Daze wrote:

here is a few more   

10/21/2011 8:10 pm  #3

on May 5, 2010, 3:22 pm, farna wrote:

The second set of photos is an older unit. Not sure what year, but the first Corvette IRSs were similar. That one appears to be a late 70s/early 80s unit. you can see that it IS very similar to the Jag unit, but uses a leaf spring and a crossmember instead of coil overs and a cage. Both the early 'vette and Jag units are relatively easy to retrofit into something else.

10/21/2011 8:11 pm  #4

on May 5, 2010, 8:02 pm, Daze wrote:

I believe the eBay listing I got the pic from said it is a C4 out of...  an 84 vet. Do you know does that type of IRS use an upper control arm?? or are the half shafts used as the UCA like on the Jag unit. I know nothing about other IRS units other than the JAg and am trying to learn as much as I can.

here is another one I found 

10/21/2011 8:13 pm  #5

on May 6, 2010, 3:56 am, farna wrote:

It's just like the Jag -- no upper arms, half-shafts do double duty. Only big difference is the leaf spring and outboard brakes. The half-shafts, by the way, are built like standard drive shafts, just short. The dual coil over shocks on the Jag dictated small shafts, so they are forged steel. Most of the aftermarket setups built like a Jag unit use a lower arm with the coil over mounts further back with just one per side and tubular shafts similar to the 'vette.

10/21/2011 8:14 pm  #6

on July 13, 2010, 6:55 pm, tyrellracing wrote:

The Corvette IRS is a neat design to look at but it has some serious draw backs.#1 The trailing arms create toe out under braking and toe in under acceleration and performs virtually the same as old vw swing axle. These are terrible characteristics for performance driving. By GM's own admission this design was dictated by the bean counters and should not ever have been put in a sports car.#2 The transverse leaf spring has never been a good idea. try to fix one when the car leans. In the day when GM was racing this type IRS they converted them to coil overs and ran as stiff of springs as the driver could stand. This would limit the rear travel to the very least possible with out welding solid posts in for shocks. As you might imagine that eliminates any gain having a IRS may have offered.

10/21/2011 8:15 pm  #7

on August 9, 2010, 1:06 pm, Ralphy wrote:

Hey guys, I'm new here and so glad to find this board. IRS discussion boards seem few. The rear cover with the aluminum mount is refereed to as a Bat Wing. Used on the C3 and C4. tyrell the toe issues as far as I'm aware is with the C3 design using a single trailing arm. The major issue more then toe on the C3 is the rubber bushings on factory arms. Racers and others have upgraded to spherical bearings as a much needed improvement. Now the toe issue on the C3 that can be remedied also. Then who says a vette has to use a leaf spring, coil overs are an option.
Dick Guldstrand C3 conversion, allows for leaf or coilover.

http://www.guldstrand.com/ProdImages/5-Bar-Suspension.jpg
Ralphy

Corvette also has what is refereed to as anti squat. Due to the forward trailing arms.
http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214882&sid=bf90171085af4c18132c3a8af6d9cd58

Another solution offered is a 2 point mounted leaf spring. Made of composites. Lighter more durable and because of the duel mount the spring acts as an anti sway bar. I still like going to coilovers!

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.ProductList&SubGroup=1950

Board footera