Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/21/2011 8:01 pm  #1

I hate the fact that it takes me at least three welds before I am a go

on May 18, 2010, 9:23 pm Daze wrote:

today I welded up the joints on the side mounts. In order to install fish plate I had to grind the side welds smooth, and the first couple welds I had done had pores in them, so I had to grind out the weld and redo it. After the first couple welds the rest were pore free. I guess I am a good welder only because I know when to redo something

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/21/2011 8:03 pm  #2

Re: I hate the fact that it takes me at least three welds before I am a go

on May 19, 2010, 6:10 pm, cecil671 wrote:

welding"Practice makes perfect" or at least in my case practice,grind,repeat,repeat etc.

10/21/2011 8:04 pm  #3

on May 19, 2010, 8:43 pm, Daze wrote:

I have been "practicing" for at least 8 years There was a time when all my welds were bad, then a time where it took me about an hour to get in to the grove. Now a days if it is something I have done a lot I know the welds are good the first time, but on materials I have not worked with as much like... I don't know... 1/8" wall rectangular tubing it takes a couple of welds to get in to the grove.  I am just glad I am to that point and not still needing to weld for an hour before the welds are good. I am also glad that I know the difference between a good weld and a bad weld AND have an angle grinder

10/21/2011 8:05 pm  #4

on August 8, 2010, 10:44 pm, tyrellracing wrote:

The pores you are describing are from a oxygenated weld. If you are using a MIG or metal inert gas welding, You need to purge the stinger of air by turning on the gas bottle, releasing the drive wheels to avoid wasting wire,then pull the trigger for about 3-5 seconds then engage the drive wheels again and weld. Your first welds are porous due to air being in the gas tube for the first welds then once the system is purged your welds will improve. If you are using flux core with out inert gas, your wire is old and deteriorated, or is defective.

10/21/2011 8:06 pm  #5

on August 9, 2010, 9:57 am, Daze wrote:

ya, I really should take a class!!! I have been welding for about 8 years and have completely taught my self. Its the little things like that that I still need to learn, thanks for the tip!!! All this time I have just been grinding them out and doing it again..... at least I new enough to do that

Board footera