Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/21/2011 7:21 pm  #1

Jaguar IRS install into 1967 Mustang Hardtop - Long

on April 18, 2010, 1:16 pm, Mustsed wrote:

Hello everybody,

Beside to be someone who is different and likes doing modifications to his car, I live in Turkey and our roads are not well suited for cars with straight axles. Either you have some kind of IRS our you have to drive slow on the nice roads here at the south coast of Turkey.
I started to research this IRS thing 1.5 years ago and told a buddy about it who has a "K" code 1967 Mustang Hardtop AND more money to spend then I do. Very soon we agreed that I DO it and he PAYS it(great).
I run across a 1986 Jaguar XJ12 rear end with 2.88:1 ratio and Power Lock. There is really not much info on that issue and Daze's page came to rescue. I've read his pages at least a few thousand times and created my idea of how to proceed. The first things where the standard shortening of the wishbones and half shafts beside rebuilding the bearings and joints. Meanwhile I ordered a set of 3.73:1 ratio Dana 44 gears to be installed into our Salisbury Differential & Carrier assembly.
All ebay sellers and informations on the net state that 3.73:1 gears fit into the numerical lower carriers which we believe to be true!?!?!.
The 2.88:1 IS numerical lower then the 3.73:1 so it fits but it didn't, I was forced to buy a THÄ°CK gear 3.73:1 gear to make it work.
All this took some time and made a delay in the project time line but at the end I was able to put the IRS into the Mustang.
Lately, Daze started a post about the placement of the IRS and what degree it should have in relation to the transmission. I chooses a neutral "0" degree because of 1. the wishbone and 2. the reality that Jaguar put it in that way. The 1. point was that I didn't want the wheels to travel backwards while moving up and down.
At the end I was able to stuff that IRS under the 1967 and it works well there since almost a year now. Below are some pics of the install and should there arise any questions please ask.

Sorry for the long post,

Mustsed   

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/21/2011 7:22 pm  #2

Re: Jaguar IRS install into 1967 Mustang Hardtop - Long

on April 18, 2010, 8:29 pm, TxStretch wrote:

Musted - Beautiful job! What size / wall thickness tubing did you use for the upper support? Also, did the rear wheels experience any toe-in from the radius rod positioning and how did it affect the handling of the car?
Thanks for the high quality pictures on the post.
Larry

10/21/2011 7:23 pm  #3

on April 18, 2010, 10:36 pm, Mustsed wrote:

The upper support bracket is made of ...................50x80mm with 3mm wall thickness tubing. It is heavy!! The round tubing for the trailing arms and support arms are heavy hydraulic tubing with at least 4mm wall thickness.
I don't have the equipment to measure the toe adjustments and I am certain there is some change but keep in mind that the 4 Jaguar shocks don't let the wheels move much on a light Mustang. The car in the pics has maybe 3" of travel on a bad road but not more.

The owner of the pictured car is very happy with the IRS and every time we talk about it, he mentions how great road grip he has now.

I am preparing my second Jaguar IRS to go into my own 1967 Mustang and will try to use some kind of Watt's link on the wishbones instead of the trailing arms. Shouldn't take to long to get there and theoretically it is possible to do this but this is another post.

Mustsed

10/21/2011 7:25 pm  #4

on April 18, 2010, 10:43 pm, Daze wrote:

And thats exactly why I set up this forum.. The watt's link is a good idea and those of us here should be good to bounce ideas off of.

10/21/2011 7:26 pm  #5

on April 19, 2010, 6:33 pm, farna wrote:

Now that's a great setup! Mine is somewhat similar, but I don't have rubber mounts on the crossmember -- bolts straight to the unit body of the Rambler. I don't get much road vibration, but do have some, not enough to worry about.

No one commented on the divorced Laycock-DeNormanville overdrive unit in front of the axle. I bet most people didn't even recognize it! Is it a Gear Vendors unit or something from over there? British cars used it, but not divorced like you have it mounted. Did you get it from a car and make the front cover/input/bearing holder?? Nice work!!

10/21/2011 7:27 pm  #6

on April 19, 2010, 11:30 pm, Mustsed wrote:

Thanks farna! The reason why I try to use bushings...is more to absorb some of the stress in such places to prevent cracks. Metal to metal doesn't do that very well. My opinion is that in every such place a kind of bushing should be used.

As for the Laycock DeNormanville, you are right - many people don't even recognize it there. It is from a Volvo car. I bought it and let input shaft cut & re spline to accept a yoke and to install it that way. The front plate accomondates a bearing and a seal so it runs smooth and leakless. The owner of this car didn't want me to modify his 4 speed toploader so I came up with this solution. This overdrive unit works incredible well but it needs to be wired so it only comes on when tranny is in highest gear. Have another one made and will take some pics today so you might see it in the back of a 3 speed tranny.

10/21/2011 7:29 pm  #7

on April 19, 2010, TxStretch wrote:

Musted - How difficult was the exhaust pipe routing around the IRS unit? Seem like that would be a big issue.

10/21/2011 7:30 pm  #8

on April 19, 2010, 11:43 pm, Mustsed wrote:

That WAS a real big ISSUE with the exhaust.............. routing. We had the exhaust made very late at night so we could attend a classic car meeting the next day. There are a lot of kinks in the pipe and the performance has gone bad a lot.

The owner is going to replace the whole system these days. He and the car are in another town so I don't know what and how they are going to do this but will let this forum know as soon as I get some pics.

Mustsed   

10/21/2011 7:32 pm  #9

on July 27, 2010, 3:02 am, tyrellracing wrote:

Excellent job on your installation! What type of overdrive box do you have? Is it electrically shifted or do you have a mechanical shifter? All of the overdrive boxes I have found require that they are bolted to the the trans replacing the tail shaft housing. The one you have is laid out as an auxiliary trans similar to a browning box.

10/21/2011 7:33 pm  #10

on July 27, 2010, 12:33 pm, Mustsed wrote:

The overdrive unit is a Laycock De Normanville "J" type........ which can be found in many Volvo, Jaguar, Triumph and such north European car. It is very very similar to the Gear Vendor unit.

In stock form it is bolted to the back f the 4 speed tranny on the above mentioned brands. I just took the OD unit and the input shaft from the junkyard. The input shaft has been cut & resplined. I then took a 1310 U-Joint yoke and made it fit with a bearing and a seal. The rest was just fabbing the mounts and the wiring.

The one in the pics is the first I did. Meanwhile I did a second one that attaches to the tail housing of a 3 speed Mustang tranny as seen in the pic below. Not yet tested but should work fine (I hope).

Mustsed   

10/21/2011 7:35 pm  #11

on July 31, 2010, 3:33 am, tyrellracing wrote:

Yes I am familiar with the Volvo unit. I did not know Jaguar and Triumph used them as well. For some reason the image of the one connected to the IRS looked much bigger. How long will those things survive behind a stout v8? All of the stock applications that overdrive is used on that I have found were 225 fl/lb or less. You have one on a small block 302 ford with a toploader three spd. The weaker 289 small block was rated at 305ft/lb

Board footera