Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/21/2011 6:07 pm  #1

Jauar IRS into 1967 Mustang - 1

on April 19, 2010, 1:54 pm Mustsed wrote:

Hi everybody,

To fill up this forum and share my experience with the install, I will make several posts according my progress while I go through it. I sure would like to hear your comments on this swap and your thoughts.

This is what I removed from a 1979 Jaguar XJ12 car. The car was in use just about 2 years ago which was a benefit because a lot of parts where maintained by the PO. 4 each of Monroe shocks in good condition where a bonus also and I have the whole drive shaft.   

After a hour of work all parts started coming apart. I paid attention to save everything on this unit to keep the list of needed new parts short. I could only locate one salvage yard with Jaguar parts in Turkey and therefore parts are accordingly priced.

That is what the Jaguar IRS looked in the afternoon. The right brake caliper lower bolt liked the place where it was the last 31 years and refused to come out. So I let it sit there one more day and removed it the next morning with a little heat.

Now the wishbones and the halfshafts need to be shortened 30mm on each side by a pro.
Meanwhile I ordered a OEM 3.73:1 ratio R&P gear set from ebay and hope to get it in two weeks.

to be continued.........

Mustsed

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/21/2011 6:09 pm  #2

Re: Jauar IRS into 1967 Mustang - 1

on April 19, 2010, 7:52 pm, Daze wrote:

So I see that you cut off the OEM trailing arms, are you planning on using the OEM end... or did you just cut them to get the system out. That gave me an idea to use the OEM stuff on my project if I can find replacement bushings at a reasonable price.

10/21/2011 6:10 pm  #3

on April 19, 2010, 11:49 pm, Mustsed wrote:

No intention on using them and if I am going to use...... bushings at all, they will NOT be expensive Jaguar parts .
I cut them this way to get the IRS out fast. As I wrote before, my idea is to make a watts linkage to stabilize the wishbones movement.

Mustsed

10/21/2011 6:12 pm  #4

on April 20, 2010, 8:20 am, Daze wrote:

I new that... don't know what I was thinking when I said that, I new you had the watts in mind   my question is why. a watts link is in my understanding a way to eliminate side to side motion on a live axle. I can not see how that would replace the trailing arms, unless you plan on running two of them and mounting them parallel with the length of the car in the trailing arm position. Very curious please enlighten me.

10/21/2011 6:14 pm  #5

on April 20, 2010, 9:50 am, Mustsed wrote:

You got it Daze, exactly the way you described it............ is how I think of mounting them. The center of the lever would be the trailing arm connecting point on the wishbone. The upper tip goes to the front leaf spring mounting hole and the lower goes to the back! The reason why I don't have a prototype is that the IRS is not yet in the car.
I measured all dimensions and it looks like it might work.
Any comments on that are welcome?!?!?

Mustsed

10/21/2011 6:16 pm  #6

on April 20, 2010, 8:22 pm, Daze wrote:

well I don't see why it wouldn't work, in fact it is a brilliant idea , but it seams like overkillSome of the hot rod guys don't even run trailing arms because the wishbones are so solid. The aftermarket tubular LCA don't need trailing arms. I guess what I am saying is it shouldn't take much to stabilize the system.

Your idea is slick and it would look sharp and probably work really well, but it kind of seams like killing a nat with a sledge hammer

10/21/2011 6:17 pm  #7

on April 20, 2010, 10:54 pm, Mustsed wrote:

You think it's overkill even when ......................... you consider future plans like maybe outboard brakes?

Mustsed

10/21/2011 6:19 pm  #8

on April 21, 2010, 8:05 am, Daze wrote:

I hope I didn't offend.I wasn't trying to put down the idea, I think it will be a very effective trailing arm replacement. I was just saying that it seams that there are simpler/easier ways to do it. Now if you are doing it just to see if you can, than thats something totally different and that I completely understand
As for the outboard disc brakes, I am not going to do those on my Mustang. Those will go on the Galaxie. My plan with the Galaxie is to use the original cage and so getting to the inboard discs will be a pain. On the mustang I should have all kinds of access so inboard will work just fine.

10/21/2011 6:21 pm  #9

on April 21, 2010, 10:42 am, Mustsed wrote:

No no! I don't feel offended but you have to agree that..... there is a great COOL factor on these outboard brakes .

I mentioned in my earlier post, it's just an idea.

Mustsed

10/21/2011 6:23 pm  #10

on July 21, 2010, 3:00 am, tyrellracing wrote:

The original Klaus Arning design for the mustang was a setup that used a watts link type leading link/trailing link to control the fore and aft movement of the hub. This made the suspension travel in a exponential curve to combat squat under acceleration. The Jag travels in a linear angular motion by comparison. Both systems provide anti-squat but the Arning design is far superior due to the ability to resist lifting the vehicle above normal ride height under acceleration. As the suspension travels up from full droop,the movement is near vertical until it passes normal ride height then it begins to travel rearward. In this manor the watts linkage has leverage to lift if the rear squats but looses this leverage as it regains correct ride height. In contrast the Jag suspension has leverage to lift the rear of the vehicle through out the full travel of the rear. This promotes wheel hop because it continues lifting rite past normal ride height and will jack the vehicle up until traction is lost then with the torque load gone, the rear drops and the cycle begins again and wheel hop is created. The Arning system requires the removal of the inner wish bone assembly on the LCA and converting it to a single point mount that will allow angular as well as rotational movement. Because the Jag LCA will not allow rotational travel in the transverse direction the watts system cannot be installed with out serious mods.

10/21/2011 6:25 pm  #11

on July 21, 2010, 1:10 pm, Daze wrote:

tyrellracing, I love having you as a member of this forum!!! You are very knowledgeable and I know I have learned a lot!!! also I like how you are digging up old posts and adding to them. it helps keep the forum going since the rest of us haven't been posting much. I hope Joe and Mustsed get some work done soon so we can here how their projects are coming.  I am hoping to get my upper shock mounts mocked up today and then I will post some pictures.

10/21/2011 6:26 pm  #12

on July 25, 2010, 4:00 am, tyrellracing wrote:

Before I began rebuilding my wife's engine I was making the necessary parts to convert my Jag IRS to a Klaus Arning setup. I have been taking pictures so I will post them when I have enough to make sense.

10/21/2011 6:28 pm  #13

on April 29, 2010, 10:28 am, 37chevysa wrote:

HI I like your idea,it would be very suitable for my own project where there is difficult in installing the trailing arm in line with the inner vulcrim point to stop the suspension from locking up when the wheel is raied or lowered
Have you installed this setup and where there any problems

10/21/2011 6:29 pm  #14

on April 30, 2010, 11:09 am, Mustsed wrote:

Not yet installed and I .........................have to wait until my IRS is in the car. I am still waiting for the 3.73:1 gears to arrive so the install can go.

I will show pics and report everything in a new post when I am that far.

Mustsed

Board footera