Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/20/2011 6:57 pm  #1

How is every ones project coming???

on July 2, 2010, 1:08 pm, Daze wrote:

I have been making slow but steady progress on mine. I have been fabbing up the small pieces that will all go together to be the main crossbar supports. I got the front crossbar notched to clear the parking brake calipers.   

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/20/2011 6:59 pm  #2

Re: How is every ones project coming???

on July 2, 2010, 2:17 pm, Mustsed wrote:

I was so close to ................... put the '79 XJ12 IRS into my '67 Mustang but then a few things happened that changed my way.

1. I started working in a custom shop and we decided to build a '62 F100 with a complete '97 Mustang as donor with all drive train and electronics. The front clip is set and when we came to decide what we will use for the rear, we choose a Jaguar IRS. The Good.....

2. After seeing the outboard brakes that Daze ordered, I started to search for the same parts and finally found them in a Junkyard in no-where. It is paid and should be here by the end of next week.

These two points cause my project to be delayed. The F100 will get the inboard brake IRS under a Plexiglas window in the truck's bed and my Mustang will get the IRS with the outboard brakes. All side supports and such are done and just waiting to be installed.

Below is what the seller sended me to ID the part.

Mustsed   

Last edited by Daze (10/20/2011 7:00 pm)

10/20/2011 7:02 pm  #3

on July 2, 2010, 2:33 pm, Daze wrote:

Those look like XJ40 hubs, you may want to upgrade...
  the calipers and rotors to X300/308 as they are vented. The hub is the same either way so it is a direct swap. That Plexiglas window idea to see the brakes and IRS pars sounds good, but it will sure scratch easily. I wonder if there is a better option?? Are you going to use a single cross bar like you did on your first IRS install or are you going to do a double like am doing??

10/20/2011 7:04 pm  #4

on July 2, 2010, 10:55 pm, Mustsed wrote:

I am happy to found this part...................... local and will use it. Sure the vented one is better but I guess that they are not available over here.

The idea of making a "H" out of two bars like yours and then connecting them with two short bars and bolting the differential to that is strong. This has to look good because this will be our show car. The glass will sit in a channel and will be removable during normal driving. The F100 body is in the body shop right now and will not be back before end of August - so I have some time.

Mustsed

10/20/2011 7:06 pm  #5

on July 3, 2010, 4:51 pm, Daze wrote:

I may be able to help you get the vented rotors if you want... to go that way. Last I checked they were about $60.00 each. If not the non vented ones would really be no different than the inboard ones so I am sure you will be fine. As far as the double crossbar, I was talking about it on your 67 not the truck.

10/20/2011 7:07 pm  #6

on July 4, 2010, 1:10 am, Mustsed wrote:

Thanks for the offer to help but..................... I will have to wait till some spare money has flown into the "Spend for Nothing" (according my wife) barrel. Thanks again for that offer.

I am not exactly sure how I will mount the dif. to my '67 but I will definitely make use of the stock Jaguar bolt plate section that I cut out from the cage. Highest possibility is that I use two bars and two lazer cut adapter plates to mate the Jaguar plate to the bars.
I used this plate in my first install too and it is visible in the pics I post on here before.

For now everything is in the stand by mode and I will see what I receive next week from the junkyard and decide which/what way I take.

Mustsed

10/20/2011 7:08 pm  #7

on July 5, 2010, 1:02 pm, Daze wrote:

Well at least you are getting to spend some one elses money by doing these other project you are getting ideas and by the time you put the system in your Mustang you will have all the bugs worked out

Board footera