Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/20/2011 5:18 pm  #1

Hey tyrellracing, its all your fault!! Your post has me thinking that

on June 16, 2010, 12:41 pm, Daze wrote:

Hey tyrellracing, its all your fault!! Your post has me thinking that maybe I should... upgrade my inboard discs to vented rotors. If I buy the rotors for $300.00 I can easily make the rest of the kit to make it all work. I will have to think about it.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/20/2011 5:20 pm  #2

Re: Hey tyrellracing, its all your fault!! Your post has me thinking that

on June 17, 2010, tyrellracing wrote:

I am still looking for a pair of rotors for cheap that will fit with my cross member. The real draw back for me is my cross member will not allow the diameter rotor I want to run. If I were to cut slots and weld in channels for the rotors to fit into it would dramatically reduce the strength of the part as well as making servicing the rotors too labor intensive. I have a pair of stainless steel four piston calipers that I want to use. They are Kelsey Hays units from 65-67 mustangs and use a mount that is very similar to the Jag units. I use Polymatrix E pads on my car and discovered a old set with 70% pad remaining that I saved for years. I cut these down to fit the Jag caliper and that reduced the fade problem to a more realistic level. It appears that the organic pads that came with the rear end were getting hot enough to melt and de-gas witch created the hard pedal/ no stop type fade I experienced. I still plan on upgrading the system and I have the rear suspension back out of the car for measuring. I will more than likely take a pair of NOS 65 mustang rotors that I all ready have, cut down the OD and enlarge the center hole so I can make an aluminum hat that produces the desired off set. One thing I really like about the Jag suspension is the ease of removal and installation. I have it down to about 20 minutes!

10/20/2011 5:21 pm  #3

on June 17, 2010, 7:38 pm, Daze wrote:

Well I am glad I didn't order the rotors after looking in to it further I realized the wishbones need to be modified to clear the extra caliper width so I think I will stick with the stock rotors.

10/20/2011 5:23 pm  #4

on June 21, 2010, 6:59 pm, tyrellracing wrote:

Yea I came to a similar conclusion. However there is room inboard, not enough for the rotors I would like to use but enough to use modified 67 mustang rotors. I modified my cross member to accept larger OD rotors before I saw the LCA issue. The greater the swept area is and the further that swept area is from the center line of rotation the less brake pressure is required to stop the rotors rotation. Increasing the rotors diameter is what I am really after because this reduces the brake pad pressure and friction required to stop the vehicle. Obviously that will also reduce the heat resulting in a better package all together. Its a win/win outcome providing I can resolve the 200lb of "I used a word I shouldn't have" in a 5lb bag issue. One last thing, you listed the reqd. Dana 44 carrier bearings but you did not list the dana pinion bearings. I got mine in a kit and assembled every thing with out a thought of getting the numbers off the parts. Do you have these bearing numbers? I have convinced a friend of mine to put a jag irs in his sunbeam tiger. I don't know how, but he went out and stumbled into a XKE suspension for $200. Ive seen his receipt and the parts and its legit. Some people have all the luck! He wants to install dana gears.

10/20/2011 5:25 pm  #5

on June 22, 2010, 10:27 am, Daze wrote:

Pinion bearingsBeing that I used a Jaguar ring and pinion I did not need the Dana specific bearings however I do have some info that may help. The info I have about this swap says the part #s are

Pinion bearing inner 31594
Pinion bearing inner race 31520
Pinion bearing outer M88040
Pinion bearing outer race M88010

I realized that the info on my web page has the pinion bearings for the dana 44 swap in the wrong column. I will fix that.

10/20/2011 5:26 pm  #6

on June 22, 2010, tyrellracing wrote:

Thanks for the bearing numbers! I am a newbe at downloading images on to the internet. My first attempt failed so I am going to enlist help from my wife since she is far more computer savy than I am.

Board footera