Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/20/2011 4:28 pm  #1

Some times I hate old parts!!!!!!!!!

on June 17, 2010, 7:35 pm, Daze wrote:

OK as I mentioned about a month ago, when I broke down my calipers one of the bleeders on the older set of calipers broke off in the caliper. no problem I had another set of calipers so I broke them down and sent them to the powder coater. Any way I had an extra rebuild kit so I figured I would try and remove the broken piece, rebuild them and list them on eBay. I soaked the area for well over a week with penetrating oil, enlarged the hole, stuck an easy out in the hole and gave it a twist. The entire ear snapped off of the caliper so it is effectively scrap.

I also managed to break off a side bolt that connected the differential/wishbone brackets to the differential on my second differential. I was able to drill that bolt all the way threw and then kept it full of penetrating oil for the last week. today I stuck an "easy" out in it but couldn't get it to budge. I tried heat, I tried welding to it, but I could not get it out. Then just when I thought I had it ready to budge the tip of the easy out snapped off in the diff, so now I need a new case. Good thing David Boger at everyday XJ is a friend and will set me up with another case for not to much $$. I just hate it when old parts brake.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/20/2011 4:29 pm  #2

Re: Some times I hate old parts!!!!!!!!!

on June 21, 2010, 7:16 pm, tyrellracing wrote:

At work we have a EDM for removing broken taps, bolts and so on. At home I take a nut the same size as the victim bolt and I crank up my mig welder then I carefully line up the nut and weld through the nut to the broken part until I have welded the two together and filled the nut. Then after a few minutes I cool it off more by spraying penetrating oil under the nut so it will suck the oil into the threads as it cools. Caution, flame ups are common so keep body parts at a safe distance. When the nut turns black from cooling put a wrench on it and your broken bolt will come out with relative ease. On smaller bolts I carefully mound up weld on the broken fastener before I set the nut on to be welded. This reduces the chance of welding the bolt to the parent metal surrounding it.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

Board footera