Independent Rear Suspension, OEM, aftermarket, stock configuration or heavily modified, all makes and models, everyone is welcome here!!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/21/2010 10:25 pm  #1

Chrysler Conquest IRS in a 77 Hornet

Good morning all.  Frank Swygert from Theamcfourum led me here.  New here but not to smashing my hands..
It's late for me so I'll keep it short for now.
Candidate is a 77 AMC Hornet with the AMX package and will be adapting in a irs from a 89 Conquest/Starion that was imported by Mitsubishi from the early 80's to 89.
BIG, Vented rotors, LSD, 3.54 gear, and parking brakes!
My build was started on WWW.Hotrodcoffeeshop.com under my handle. (77amc) They received it well. Alot better than the AMC guys

Here's the pic if you don't want to search for it.

Lets' see if that works.

The width was concerning me, so I sectioned the cradle of it to widen it up some. I just need to get the rims under in the right spot and then measure from backspacing to backspacing, get center and go from there.

I'm fading fast. Gotta sleep.

Thanks. E

10/22/2010 10:31 am  #2

Re: Chrysler Conquest IRS in a 77 Hornet

Let me be the first to say WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!  I am excited to see the diversity you are brining.  Most of the people here found this forum through my web site and so the majority of projects  are Mustang and Jag (like mine).   That is an interesting IRS unit.  especially the extra long pinion, kind of reminds me of the old school torque tubes.  How big is the ring gear??  Is the differential something specific to Mitsubishi or is it something more universal such as a dana.  I would also love to see some pix of the outside of your Hornet.  Once agin welcome to the forum.

If it isn't broken..... modify it anyway!!!!

10/23/2010 8:04 am  #3

OH, its nothing special.. I does have the AMX rally package, but kinda beat up, and been sitting for a l o n g time.
I made the mistake that i didn't really like Fords and got chastised for it..  That was on a AMC site.. You woulda thought that I cursed someones mom. 
Well, its' not going to be the first time that someone calls me nuts or worse. And it WON'T be the last. I'm the baby of 9 so I don't think that there is going to be anything NEW that comes my way.. 

I can't remember what size the gears are but the fixture itself lends it to only your imaginations limits..
The AWD talon/eclipse is another one. VERY light with minimal attaching points and from what I've read, mostly the axles tend to have trouble.
NOW, this is in a talon/eclipse. The heavier the vehicle of course, the weaker it can seem.
The same can be assumed for the Supra, Nissan 240sx, and RX-7. The Supra is a heavy unit in itself with all the frame and such, but sturdy nonetheless.  All have a following of high performance salesmen ready to take your kids 'college fund'..

My build really needs to sleep for a while because I got bored and didn't finish the other 3 that I have going. (it's like i'm not happy unless I have 10 irons in the fire)
I did get the frame cut so I can spread it apart to see how long it needs to be. I'll be taking pics for some other stuff, so I'll try to take some more for you kids..

Later.  Errol

PS, the build is on www.Hotrodcoffeeshop.com. Look for Errol's 77 Hornet build. there are some pics there also.
And they welcome all sorts of cars.

Last edited by 77amc (10/23/2010 8:06 am)

11/09/2010 7:56 am  #4

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a website where a guy grafted a Supra IRS, and front suspension onto his 65 Mustang. Here is the link:

http://suprang.com/

Major reconstruction!
Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Dan

1965 Mustang 200cid inline six 3spd

Board footera